In 2009 my wife and I had our second son. Adjusting to two children was a little more difficult than I anticipated and in the summer of 2009 I took a sabbatical from climbing to try some distance running. It was a whole lot easier for me to find an hour here, or four hours there, to go for a nice long run than it was to devote 12+ hours to doing anything significant in the hills.
Several of my friends are big time ultra runners so that inspired me to first attempt a marathon, and then to attempt an ultra marathon.
Running on pavement is extremely boring to me and it beats me up pretty bad. Therefore nearly all my training is on trails. Luckily I can pick up a nice trail system just 200 yards from my house and and I do a lot of running behind Hughes Stadium, aroud Dixon Reservoir, up to Rotary Park, etc. I also regularly do the out and back from Coyote Ridge to Devils Backbone and I really enjoy running Lory State Park.
- Deer Creek Canyon Open Space Trail Run - October 2, 2010
- Golden Gate Dirty Thirty - June 5, 2010
- Devils Garden, Arches National Park - May 10, 2010
- Boulder Mail Trail - Lower Death Hollow - Escalante River - May 9, 2010
- Paria Canyon - May 8, 2010
- Buckskin Gulch - May 8, 2010
- Moab's Red Hot 50k+ - February 13, 2010
- Practice Ultra Marathon from Coyote Ridge Trailhead - January 30, 2010
- Blue Sky Marathon - October 4, 2009